[Jamin] 0.98.5
Patrick Shirkey
2013-02-14 06:53:39 UTC

I just pushed some updates for the GtkMeter class. The Vertical meters are
in place and the horizontal levels but I still need to fix the gain meters
cos they go in the opposite direction. I haven't added the fastmeter logic
yet so these ones draw the complete widget on every refresh which is a bit
expensive.

I plan to add the cairo drawing code from ardour and scenic so we can have
a selection of meters. I have used the cairo code I wrote for jackeq for
the tests as I know it better than the other two.

If you want to play with the new interface it is functional now and could
be used for real work if absolutely necessary.

We are still missing the hdeq/spectrum/comp curves though.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd
Michiel Broek
2013-02-14 12:28:26 UTC
Post by Patrick Shirkey
Hi,
I just pushed some updates for the GtkMeter class. The Vertical meters are
in place and the horizontal levels but I still need to fix the gain meters
cos they go in the opposite direction. I haven't added the fastmeter logic
yet so these ones draw the complete widget on every refresh which is a bit
expensive.
I plan to add the cairo drawing code from ardour and scenic so we can have
a selection of meters. I have used the cairo code I wrote for jackeq for
the tests as I know it better than the other two.
Patrick,

is it possible to do all drawing with cairo and drop clutter? This
clutter thing needs so many extra packages to add to my Slackware system
that I decided to not compile this version.

That is the main reason why I hate gtk stuff, the dependency hell for
adding some libraries.

gtx, Michiel.
Patrick Shirkey
2013-02-14 14:46:21 UTC
Post by Michiel Broek
Post by Patrick Shirkey
Hi,
I just pushed some updates for the GtkMeter class. The Vertical meters are
in place and the horizontal levels but I still need to fix the gain meters
cos they go in the opposite direction. I haven't added the fastmeter logic
yet so these ones draw the complete widget on every refresh which is a bit
expensive.
I plan to add the cairo drawing code from ardour and scenic so we can have
a selection of meters. I have used the cairo code I wrote for jackeq for
the tests as I know it better than the other two.
Patrick,
is it possible to do all drawing with cairo and drop clutter? This
clutter thing needs so many extra packages to add to my Slackware system
that I decided to not compile this version.
It's possible but nowhere near as interesting ;-)
Post by Michiel Broek
That is the main reason why I hate gtk stuff, the dependency hell for
adding some libraries.
It's probably because I am using the very latest clutter which is only
available in the experimental repos for most distros at the moment.

If you are using a newer gnome desktop you should have clutter installed
already.

what does the following give you:

pkg-config --modversion clutter-1.0

What I can do is lower the version number and make it compile time
optional...

That way it gives you a chance to catch up to me without missing out on
the latest updates ;-)

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd
Michiel Broek
2013-02-14 15:02:25 UTC
Post by Patrick Shirkey
Post by Michiel Broek
Hi,
Post by Michiel Broek
That is the main reason why I hate gtk stuff, the dependency hell for
adding some libraries.
It's probably because I am using the very latest clutter which is only
available in the experimental repos for most distros at the moment.
That is possible. I tried the latest and oldest possible clutter, but
for dependencies that didn't matter much. There are several dependencies
that cannot be solved because standard libraries that come with the
distributions (Slackware 14.0 only a few months old) are already way too
old. I don't like to upgrade these because it ends in rebuilding almost
all graphic libraries. That's the gtk/gnome hell.

Slackware doesn't ship with gnome and it is a choice that I absolutely
don't mind. Still there is enough gtk stuff present to compile almost
all applications. Anyway, an application should not depend too much on
specific libraries and absolutely not on a specific desktop. I can see
that you need something to draw, pango/cairo is present very well in
most distro's.
Post by Patrick Shirkey
If you are using a newer gnome desktop you should have clutter installed
already.
pkg-config --modversion clutter-1.0
***@seaport:~$ pkg-config --modversion clutter-1.0
Package clutter-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `clutter-1.0.pc'
No package 'clutter-1.0' found
***@seaport:~$

This is the result of trying to build clutter:

configure: error: Package requirements (cogl-1.0 >= 1.9.6 cairo-gobject
Post by Patrick Shirkey
= 1.10 atk >= 2.5.3 pangocairo >= 1.30 cogl-pango-1.0 json-glib-1.0 >=
0.12.0 gdk-3.0 x11 xext xfixes >= 3 xdamage xcomposite >= 0.4 xi) were
not met:

No package 'cogl-1.0' found
Requested 'atk >= 2.5.3' but version of Atk is 2.4.0
No package 'cogl-pango-1.0' found
No package 'json-glib-1.0' found

Then, looking at some of these packages, more dependencies follow.
Post by Patrick Shirkey
What I can do is lower the version number and make it compile time
optional...
That way it gives you a chance to catch up to me without missing out on
the latest updates ;-)
I guess this is the way it is now.

gtx, Michiel.
Patrick Shirkey
2013-02-14 15:42:14 UTC
Post by Michiel Broek
Post by Patrick Shirkey
Post by Michiel Broek
Hi,
Post by Michiel Broek
[...]
It's not just about drawing. It's about drawing with clutter in 3
dimensions ;-)

I have disabled the clutter deps for now. You can try the latest git.
Post by Patrick Shirkey
= 1.10 atk >= 2.5.3 pangocairo >= 1.30 cogl-pango-1.0 json-glib-1.0 >=
0.12.0 gdk-3.0 x11 xext xfixes >= 3 xdamage xcomposite >= 0.4 xi) were
No package 'cogl-1.0' found
Requested 'atk >= 2.5.3' but version of Atk is 2.4.0
No package 'cogl-pango-1.0' found
No package 'json-glib-1.0' found
Then, looking at some of these packages, more dependencies follow.
If you don't have the latest gnome/gtk+ then you probably don't have the
lastest clutter either.

On Debian I had to enable the experimental repo to pull in the latest
clutter builds. 1.12.0 is the release that has support for scrollable
widgets which is pretty handy if you want to scrolling viewports in 3d.
Boost Hardware Ltd
Michiel Broek
2013-02-14 16:31:53 UTC
On 02/14/2013 04:42 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

I just deleted all of the original message because the message waits on
a moderator if it's too big. I attached a half sized screen capture of
this jamin without clutter in action, the full size is too large to send
directly.

I did not do a full install, just run the binary and it picks up buttons
etc from the original installed jamin. Maybe later I will make a better
test environment. To me it looks like the pixmaps haven't changed.

It works more or less, the meters seems ok. The low band compressor
doesn't work but if I bypass the low compressor the bass comes in.

All the sliders look flat.

The meters look better then the originals. I don' know if it looks much
different with or without clutter, but I'm sure you can tell us.

gtx, Michiel.
Patrick Shirkey
2013-02-14 18:04:43 UTC
Post by Michiel Broek
I just deleted all of the original message because the message waits on
a moderator if it's too big. I attached a half sized screen capture of
this jamin without clutter in action, the full size is too large to send
directly.
It's better to upload to the web and then send a link.
Post by Michiel Broek
I did not do a full install, just run the binary and it picks up buttons
etc from the original installed jamin. Maybe later I will make a better
test environment. To me it looks like the pixmaps haven't changed.
I haven't changed any of the default widgets. They are just what gtk3
provides ootb.
Post by Michiel Broek
It works more or less, the meters seems ok. The low band compressor
doesn't work but if I bypass the low compressor the bass comes in.
Thanks. I didn't spot that.
Post by Michiel Broek
All the sliders look flat.
They are just the default sliders. It's tempting to use the ardour sliders
or build our own.
Post by Michiel Broek
The meters look better then the originals. I don' know if it looks much
different with or without clutter, but I'm sure you can tell us.
I'm planning to use clutter for the new "Multi Out" window. You can open
it from the "Multi" button in the presets window. However at the moment it
is just an empty window because I haven't done any work on that section
yet.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd
Michiel Broek
2013-02-14 19:02:38 UTC
Post by Patrick Shirkey
Post by Michiel Broek
I just deleted all of the original message because the message waits on
a moderator if it's too big. I attached a half sized screen capture of
this jamin without clutter in action, the full size is too large to send
directly.
It's better to upload to the web and then send a link.
That's for another one that needs more details.
Post by Michiel Broek
All the sliders look flat.
They are just the default sliders. It's tempting to use the ardour sliders
or build our own.
They look flatter then in the original jamin because the shadow effect
is gone. I think that this is just because you are changing the code.
I'm not worried about it since you are working on it.

The ardour sliders are good sliders and can be used for in small areas
too. But maybe not the best choice for the equalizer sliders or
crossover sliders. On these places a knob like slider button (like we
already have) is better.

You might also take a look at some sliders that don't work with the
mouse wheel, and some others take giant steps when you turn the wheel.
Some were already broken in the original jamin now that I'm comparing
the two versions.
Post by Patrick Shirkey
Post by Michiel Broek
The meters look better then the originals. I don' know if it looks much
different with or without clutter, but I'm sure you can tell us.
I'm planning to use clutter for the new "Multi Out" window. You can open
it from the "Multi" button in the presets window. However at the moment it
is just an empty window because I haven't done any work on that section
yet.
I have seen that window in one of the previous versions, well, the empty
screen that its.

gtx, Michiel.
David Nielson
2013-02-17 20:12:52 UTC
I stand corrected: EQ10Q is being maintained.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/eq10q/?source=dlp

I've used this as a crossover for a live sound setup (among other
things.) It's a very Unix tool: do one thing, do it well, give the user
a gun, and let them figure out not to point it at their foot.

David Nielson